Victoria Legal Aid
About the handbook
The VLA Handbook for lawyers sets out how apply for a grant of legal assistance and the guidelines and conditions of receiving a grant. It also explains the payment structure for private lawyers who perform legal aid work.
For versions of the Handbook prior to these changes see archived versions of the Handbook.
Browse by topic
- Referral and practitioner panels
- Payments to lawyers and service providers
- Complaints and feedback
- Section 29A panel practitioner manual
- Family Dispute Management Service
- Compliance reviews
- Allocation of work to lawyers and law firms
- Finalising grants of legal assistance
- Invoice, worksheets and forms
On 1 March 2016 Victoria Legal Aid implemented changes to the means test to extend financial eligibility. Changes were also made to state family guidelines.
See Archived versions of the Handbook for further information