16 – Applying for a grant of legal assistance
A person applying to Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) for a grant of legal assistance must fill in one of VLA’s two application forms and provide supporting information and documents. However, if the person needs an urgent grant, then VLA may make a grant of legal assistance without sighting the application form or any supporting information and documents.
This section explains:
- the two VLA application forms
- where the application forms are available
- whether a lawyer needs to help a person apply
- the rules applying to lawyers who help people apply
- how to fill in the application form
- what signing the form means
- in brief about the supporting information and documents that may be required
- where to send the application
- about applications for urgent grants of legal assistance.
For more detailed information about supporting information and documents see: