11 – Referral and practitioner panels
Victoria Legal Aid (VLA) has established panels of private law firms to whom VLA may assign legal matters. They are:
- the Section 29A Practitioner Panels, established under section 29A of the Legal Aid Act 1978
- the Section 30 Referral Panel, established under section 30 of the Legal Aid Act.
This section explains:
- the areas of legal work relevant to each panel
- how VLA selects and appoints members of each panel
- the conditions of membership of each panel
- the relationship of each panel to VLA’s two pathways for processing applications for grants of legal assistance
- the grounds on which VLA may remove members from each panel.