Guideline 7 – adoption
VLA may make a grant of legal assistance to a child to be independently represented in adoption proceedings if any of the following apply:
- the proceedings are contested
- there has been an application to dispense with the consent of a natural parent
- there has been an application to discharge an adoption order.
Applications under this guideline can only be submitted via the standard grants assessment process.
A member of the section 29A practitioner panel or section 30 referral panel seeking a grant of legal assistance should submit an application via ATLAS for assessment, including all of the following documents:
- a copy of any available documentation or evidence which shows:
- that the proceedings are contested
- that an application has been made to dispense with the consent of a natural parent
- an application has been made to discharge an order for adoption
- relevant proof of means.