Guideline 3 – guardianship and/or administration cases in the Guardianship List
VLA may make a grant of legal assistance to a person for a guardianship and/or administration case in the Guardianship List of the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) and for an appeal from the Tribunal’s decision if there is a reasonable prospect of either:
- preventing the appointment or re-appointment of a guardian and/or of an administrator
- removing a guardian and/or administrator.
Applications under this guideline can only be submitted via the standard grants assessment process.
A member of the section 29A practitioner panel or section 30 referral panel seeking a grant of legal assistance should submit an application via ATLAS for assessment, including all of the following documents:
- after referring to guideline 3 and all available material, the lawyer’s assessment of the prospects of removing or preventing the appointment or reappointment of a guardian or administrator
- a copy of any current guardianship or administration order
- documentary proof of any State special circumstances
- reference to how the matter meets the State reasonableness test
- relevant proof of means.